While on the train a couple weeks ago I found these words written in feminine script on the back of a discarded receipt from Miami International:
I also learned on this trip that I continue to grow & love you more.
This line has stuck with me for so many reasons. Consider:
- I’m a huge believer in personal growth.
- I believe in the power of travel to bring perspective to life.
- I love people who take the time to document their learnings from a trip.
- The “also” implies that this was just one of a set of revelations.
- “Grow” comes before “love”.
- It’s just a great melodic sentence — it sounds just like a Miranda July title.
Who were these words directed to? A lover? A god? A city? The writer herself? Maybe all of the above. And as I flew back in to San Francisco Sunday night and reflected on the recent brush with death, the ridiculously beautiful friends and all the incredible work that lies ahead of us, I recalled this note and found myself thinking, “Yeah, it’s kinda like that.”