So I’ve not really been as timely with these rankings as I’d hoped but I promise to see this thing through to the end.
“Fees and Commissions” is a fairly gruesome episode when you come down to it, yet weirdly poignant. I’ll say this, Mr. Weiner — those days spent on The Sopranos really helped give you the cojones to do anything with your main characters, eh? Amazingly, this insightful interview with Jared Harris also goes a long way to confirming the Mob-like milieu in which actors learn about their characters’ fates.
Oh, and keeping us in suspense about Peggy to lead up to the season finale is a great touch.
10. Julia (Megan’s friend) — Still kind of a floozy, but I’m a sucker for recurring character continuity. She may be Megan’s only outlet going forward so who knows what seeds are getting planted here?
9. Glen Bishop — Alright, the nepotism is really starting to get to me. Do we really need this much of this character? Doesn’t he have any interesting qualities of his own?
8. Megan Draper — Continues her plummet, this time unable to become a true surrogate mother for Sally.
7. Bert Cooper — Nice to know he can understand the books when he wants to.
6. Pete Campbell — You dodged a bullet/noose this season, Pete. Earn this.
5. Lane Pryce — I never really loved this character, but it still seems a little cruel to do this to him. Kind of a lost opportunity; still don’t believe he wouldn’t have just asked Don for a loan in the first place.
4. Betty Draper — I actually like that Sally ran back to her in her moment of need. Nice to see Betty get a bone every once in a while. Er, you know what I mean.
3. Ken Cosgrove — Smart to stay out of the wooing of Ed Baxter, and doesn’t even want to be a partner. Now can we please get back to the writing career?
2. Sally Draper — Clever work staging your secret date. I know it didn’t go as planned, but these things happen. So I’m told.
1. Don Draper — Love the newfound fire to go after big accounts. And even if the handling of Lane’s situation backfired, at least it was done from a place of integrity he’s suddenly rediscovered 10 episodes into this season. Just don’t go for the hanging hat trick.